[78-L] Robert Johnson /Muddy Waters?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Feb 3 21:05:00 PST 2011

From: <CelticGuitar666 at aol.com>
> Nice! I always seem to get on board late. When I could buy 78's of these
> people for 10-15 cents a pop I bought a few but they got lost in the sands
> of
> time I am talking lat 60's - 90's There was a junk shop that I know of
> that had  a back room with thousands of 78's that was in business a couple
> of
> years ago  but I haven't been there in a while. It's finding the time for
> the
> 2 hr round  trip plus time picking so I just keep looking in local thrifts
> but that is hit  or miss mostly miss these days since Craiglist no body is
> giving them away like  here come get them

These days I try to buy 78's in large lots rather than one at a time...!
I started collecting 78's in 1972...I bought a bunch for a quarter each
at a flea market...and then inherited my father's 300-odd 78's by
default (nobody else wanted them...!).Thereafter I discovered
"auction lists"...particularly one run by Peter Leavitt (is he still
alive...?!). When I moved to Canada (Toronto) in early 1977,
I owned about 5-600 78's...I put them in milk boxes in an
"upstairs" (2nd floor) spare room. I quickly noticed their
weight was cracking my ceiling plaster...and moved them to
a (fortunately) dry basement. When I moved from Toronto
to Oahawa (c. 40 miles) I had around 160 milk boxes full!

Since then I've been lucky enough to score a few large lots;
I estimate my current holdings at 67,000 +/-! I used to keep
track of these in a MS Access database; however, a definite
MISadventure with a "Computer Repair" guy deleted all my
existing files...?! I MAY (this is open to question...?!)
restart my "update the Abrams Files" project; however,
this is NOT a promise!

Steven C. Barr