[78-L] For those who think the hobby will die

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Feb 3 20:07:45 PST 2011

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> I still think that in about 50 years or so, the last surviving 78
>> collector
>> will inherit (or be stuck with...?!) ALL the remaining 78
>> collections...?!
>> One wonders what part of "ALL 78's ever issued" will be included
>> therein...?!
>> Steven C. Barr
> Steven,
> I think it's more likely that in 50 years you will be 100+ and you will
> still be telling all the 78 collectors,  many of whom have yet to be born,
> that the end days are upon us.

In 50 years I'll be 118...which I don't really expect to reach (but if I do
I'll probably get a LOT of publicity...!). The next question, though, is
a little more important...! We went through a fairly brief "swing
revival" about a decade ago; now, will the next "younger generation"
with musical tastes dulled by endless "urban dance" be interested
in music which antedates any of their known relatives...?! They MAY
(?!) still be able to acquire 78-capable turntables (providing enough
customers still WANT such things...which is necessary for their
manufacture...?!)...but unlike classical music, most of whose
repertoire is NOT date-dependent, popular music's survival will
need enough "fans" to enjoy the "pop" of past centuries! Also I
suspect if such a demographic exists they willl be able to obtain
the music on CD's, MP3's and whatever yet-uninvented media
is developed...!

Steven C. Barr