[78-L] banjo player id wanted

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Feb 2 21:24:25 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: <zimrec at juno.com>
> I'm a little confused.  It seems you are saying that the identity of the
> performer on Columbia 294 is not known but is definitely no Vess Ossman
> and that it was recorded ca. 1901-02.  However, the label mentions Grand
> Prize St. Louis 1904, so I was assuming that the recording dated from
> around that period.  Does the recording date from as early as 1901-02?
> Art - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:27:48 -0500

No! Columbia pressed records using whatever labels were current at that
time;
thus a copy of Co 294 could bear any one of several labels...including dates
from well past its initial issue date! Thus. the label citing 1904 means
only
that THAT particular copy was pressed from 1904 onward...which does
NOT relate to the original recording date of the side...!

Steven C. Barr