[78-L] banjo player id wanted (Ruby Brooks)

Don Chichester dnjchi78 at live.com
Wed Feb 2 19:23:35 PST 2011

I asked my friend Eli Kaufman, editor of the Five Stringer, for info on Brook's cylinders.  Here is his reply:

RE the Ruby Brooks- Very interesting you should raise the question about those Climax/Columbias.

Heier and Lotz  list Ossman as the artist for  some Columbia/Climax discs recorded ca. 1901. These start with # 254 and 255, and then  there are eight running straight  from 288 to 295. As it turns out I have the Climax #s 290, 292 and 293- The artist on the labels is given as Brooks and I'm pretty sure from listening that the artist is Brooks Not Ossman. So there is a good chance that all or some of  the other 7  are Brooks as well. As you know these are pretty rare records.
   However I got a disc of Valse Blueu about 3 yrs ago. I can't seem to locate it , but I'm pretty sure it was a Columbia played by  Ossman. But since I can't find it just now  I can not tell if it is Columbia 289 in that series. According to  Heier and Lotz Ossman only recorded it 2x once as this disc the other as a cylinder??? I'll give it another shot  tomorrow and see if i can find the record.

  So feel free to use this information, but I would appreciate credit to  me and the American Banjo Fraternity.

I guess no one is sure who recorded it.

Don Chichester