[78-L] Speed of "Your Feet's Too Big, " was Acoustic disc playback speed?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jan 27 20:21:11 PST 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> On 1/27/2011 8:16 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:
>> Greetings from FixitLand!
>> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>>> ...even later 78's are NOT necessarily cut at 78.26; I own Waller's
>>> standard of "Yo Feets Too Big,"...and played on a modern 78 player,
>> If you're hearing a key north of Eb, your
>> turntable is running way way WAY too fast! Since you're a musician, I
>> trust your ear is good...A re you using a BSR turntable? They tend to
>> run fast, but not usually THAT fast.     Take care, Joe
>> --
> Do you own a strobe disc, Steve?  You have often prided yourself on NOT
> using a modern 78 player, generally opting for changers from the 1950s
> or 60s.  Is the BSR changer what has been cited most recently?  While I
> have a number of tables from that era (such as Bogen/Lencos, ARs, Audio
> Empire, Garrard 201, and even some Califones) I have never considered
> them "modern", but (except for the ARs which don't play 78s) they are
> all variable speed and I have multi-speed strobe discs.  And I do have a
> Techniques 1200 out in the garage that I have not been able to set up
> again since I got it, and that is about a close as I am getting to
> modern.  But a BSR???!!!

You are "speaking" (typing?) to an ancient party trying to live indoors
and eat at least occasionally on the pittance Canada provides us
pensioners...! A "state of the art" 78-capable turntable is totally
out of my range of "affordability!" Besides, I have always found
modern tt's to be better at reproducing the surface noise of
shellac 78's than their musical content...!

Steven C. Barr