[78-L] Speed of "Your Feet's Too Big, " was Acoustic disc playback speed?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jan 27 20:12:42 PST 2011

From: "J. E. Knox" <rojoknox at metroeast.org>
> Greetings from FixitLand!
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> ...even later 78's are NOT necessarily cut at 78.26; I own Waller's
>> standard of
>> "Yo Feets Too Big,"...
>
> Er, uh, the label reads "Your Feet's Too Big," and I don't think
> "Fats" effects a sloppy pronunciation "Yo" on this, does he? I need
> to play this again.

I sent the message without looking at the actual record...and guessed
at the spelling of the title! My bad...
>> and played on a modern 78 player, it winds up in a
>> key of "Eb and a quarter!" I was trying to work out a harmonica
>> solo...
>> but my record DOESN'T match my "harp"...?!
>
> The record was made in Studio #2, 155 E. 24th St., a studio which
> output I've always found to run at 78.26 rpm. The tune is in C major
> when played at 78.26. If you're hearing a key north of Eb, your
> turntable is running way way WAY too fast! Since you're a musician, I
> trust your ear is good...Are you using a BSR turntable? They tend to
> run fast, but not usually THAT fast.

My "78 deck" was (and still will be?!) an RCA "record player" with
the cartridge output fed into the "Line In" jack of a Sony r2r machine.
Probably NOT turning at 78.26...but I found that most of my blues
78's (postwar) played in keys for which I had harmonicas...! Only
the Waller disc didn't...?!

Steven C. Barr