[78-L] Now I'm convinced the world is going to hell in ahandbasket

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jan 25 20:51:09 PST 2011

From: "Rockined1" <rockined1 at aol.com>
> I saw this on my facebook page by a fellow disgusted rekkid collector
> Long Island Vinyl Exchange
> More Info
> Record-Breaking Record Store Record Breaking Event!
> It's crazy, it's out of control, and it's totally us!
> On Febuary 19th at 1:00pm, we will suspend old fashioned 78rpm records in
> the back of the shop and offer our customers a bucket of baseballs and a
> pitchers mound. If you can break the 78 completely on your first pitch,
> you will win a $20.00 gift certificate to the store. If it takes 2 tries,
> $15.00 gift certificate, 3 tries, $10.00 gift certificate, and $5.00 gift
> certificate to anybody who was willing to participate in this crazy new
> sport!

When I was a kid, there were similar concessions at both the Logan County
(Ill's)
Fair and the Ill's State Fair! This was about 20 years before I started
accumulating
78's...so I paid no attention to what was ON those records...?! However, I
would
guess they were mostly the "big band era" or later 40's & 50's records. I'm
guessing
that they had been examined to see if any might sell for4 more...?!

Steven C. Barr