[78-L] Acoustic disc playback speed?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jan 25 20:31:24 PST 2011

From: "Dave at Audio Tech Transfer" <audiotechtransfer at bresnan.net>
> Greetings from Wyoming,
> One of my biggest frustrations with playing acoustic discs is trying to
> determine correct playback speed.  I'm aware of the advice to listen for
> certain notes, judge whether they're sharp or flat and adjust accordingly.
> Which doesn't help as I'm not a trained musician and I don't have a clue.
> I think I can get pretty close with recordings that have singing or
> voices, but instrumentals are a real challenge.
> In doing research on various websites devoted to 78s, I've found advice
> (which varies) but often cites these guidelines:
> Victor (early acoustics to 1909)          71.29 RPM
> Victor (later acoustics 1909-1925)      76.59 RPM
> Columbia (acoustic)                          80.00 RPM
> The general consensus seems to be that Edison DD are 80 RPM and they do
> sound correct at that speed.
> I'm just not sure about the Victors and Columbias though, and I don't
> trust my ears completely.  I'm currently transferring a large number of my
> 78s to WAV files in preparation for a radio show I'll be doing at a local
> college station.  So I'm understandably concerned about accuracy.  I also
> have the occasional customer bring old acoustic discs for transfer to
> digital, so customer needs are a consideration as well.
> Any tips on arriving at correct speed would be appreciated.  I'm using
> Technics direct drive turntables for playback, so I've got capability to
> adjust pitch within a +/- 9.9% range.

Collectors...especially of operatic vocal 78's...have argued for many
decades
about the actual recorded speed of "important" 78's in this field...! Also,
even
later 78's are NOT necessarily cut at 78.26; I own Waller's standard of
"Yo Feets Too Big," and played on a modern 78 player, it winds up in a
key of "Eb and a quarter!" I was trying to work out a harmonica solo...
but my record DOESN'T match my "harp"...?!

Steven C. Barr