[78-L] Popyeye, Spinach, Hell, etc.

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 25 14:39:17 PST 2011

Carl Rose, actually..I've had that in "One Dozen Roses" for decades. E. B.
White came up with the caption.

Mother: "It's broccoli, dear."
Little Girl: "I say it's spinach, and I say the hell with it."
http://www.jimandellen.org/feministblog/332.html

Thurber redrew another famous cartoon that had originally been too bloody in
Rose's version (fencer decapitating his opponent and shouting "Touche!")

dl