[78-L] Cylinder machine sighting

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 23 09:28:21 PST 2011

David Lennick wrote:
> Okay, we watched it last night. Great fun, pure camp but not Roger Corman-Ed
> Wood shlock by any means. The title "The Beast with Five Fingers" gives the
> wrong impression, and considering that it comes from Warner Brothers, that's
> surprising. Nice little murder mystery with plot holes you could drive a camion
> through. We've already supplied a couple of major spoilers so I don't want to
> add too many more, but placing the time frame is a bit difficult..the opening
> title says that the story happened "almost 50 years ago" and the film was made
> in 1946, but the nephew is said to have been born in 1882 and appears to be in
> his mid 20s, which puts it more around 1906. I won't presume to guess whether
> the Edison Standard was around at this time but I see something that says "last
> patent 1905".
>
> This is definitely worth seeing for Peter Lorre, whose performance in this is
> probably the basis for Paul Frees' imitation in Spike Jones's "My Old Flame"
> the following year. "I can't stand it!"
>
> dl
Not 78-related--well, not directly, but I did see a couple of old TV
series, both from 1959, with such anomalies.

!. A "William Tell" episode features the cuckoo--wrong country, wrong
century! (Orson Welles got it wrong too!)
2. "Rawhide" refers to a guy playing the accordion--it's a concertina...

      Julian Vein