[78-L] Cylinder machine sighting

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 23 07:37:32 PST 2011

Okay, we watched it last night. Great fun, pure camp but not Roger Corman-Ed
Wood shlock by any means. The title "The Beast with Five Fingers" gives the
wrong impression, and considering that it comes from Warner Brothers, that's
surprising. Nice little murder mystery with plot holes you could drive a camion
through. We've already supplied a couple of major spoilers so I don't want to
add too many more, but placing the time frame is a bit difficult..the opening
title says that the story happened "almost 50 years ago" and the film was made
in 1946, but the nephew is said to have been born in 1882 and appears to be in
his mid 20s, which puts it more around 1906. I won't presume to guess whether
the Edison Standard was around at this time but I see something that says "last
patent 1905".

This is definitely worth seeing for Peter Lorre, whose performance in this is
probably the basis for Paul Frees' imitation in Spike Jones's "My Old Flame"
the following year. "I can't stand it!"

dl