[78-L] Live recordings in the 1930's (was Jack Jackson date)

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jan 22 17:47:30 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Al Simmons wrote:

> You're right about those other bands Kristjan. But just above the
> first
> session of Jackson'd band in
> Rust's "Jazz Records" Rust made a notation... "The following
> records by this
> orchestra from the Dorchester Hotel, London .............
> Did that mean they were recorded at the Dorchester or that the band
> was
> "from the Dorchester"' as it normally played there.
> Language...language!

Indeed! I feel pretty confident that the latter is true, at least for
most of the sides involved. The labels (and Rust, in British Dance
Bands) state "at the Dorchester Hotel, London." "At" could suggest,
but does not prove, recording occurred in the hotel. The label credit
could just as easily have been "Jack Jackson and his Dorchester Hotel
Orchestra."

Take care,

Joe
--
"The cat is, above all things, a dramatist."--Margaret Benson