[78-L] Live recordings in the 1930's (was Jack Jackson date)

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Jan 22 16:46:30 PST 2011

J. E. Knox wrote:
> Victor 25042-B's label states "at the Dorchester Hotel, London" but I
> believe that just refers to Jackson's "home base" at the time, not
> that the track was recorded there. Or was it?!
> ---
You're quite right. One should be careful to assume, from this type of
orchestra name on the record label, that the recordings were done on
location.
For instance: Ambrose's band in the early 1930's was named "Ambrose &
His Orchestra at the May Fair Hotel, London", but, according to Rust &
Forbes' British Dance Bands Discography,  some of their recordings were
made in the Small Queen's Hall, others in the Kingsway Hall etc.. The
rest have just "London" as location, which, according to a note Rust
makes for the Hylton band, means the Abbey Road studios (for Gramophone
Co recordings) from November 1931.
Roy Fox's band around 1931-1932 was labelled "Roy Fox and his Band at
the Monseigneur Restaurant, London" on record, but recorded some of its
titles in Chelsea Town Hall. For the rest of the recordings Rust &
Forbes have just "London", which, in this case, probably means the Decca
studios in Kings Road.
Does anyone know how often actual live recordings of dance band music,
for record release, were made in those years? And I don't mean later
issues of broadcast recordings, made in studio over wire, but recordings
actually cut on location.
Kristjan