[78-L] Jack Jackson date

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Thu Jan 20 16:26:21 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Kristjan Saag wrote:

> Perhaps I should add that many of Gramophone Company's pre Abbey
> Road-recordings were not made in Hayes, but in Small Queen's Hall at
> Langham Place, near Oxford Street. This was the smaller of two concert
> halls in the building, also used for lectures, political meetings
> etc..
> Queen's Hall was used as a recording venue even after 1931; Toscanini
> recorded here later in the 1930's, for instance.
> The building was destroyed in an air raid in 1941.
>  From 1925, well into the 1980's the Gramophone Company also used the
> Kingsway Hall in Holborn for recording purposes, mainly for classical
> music, but also for popular.
> Finally: the Abbey Road studios were officially opened on November 12
> 1931, but recording started earlier; Jack Hylton made his first
> recordings there in September.
> Kristjan

Thanks for all this, Kristjan; very interesting stuff!

I went to the Abbey Road Studios Web site <http://www.abbeyroad.com>
and saw there were, and are, three studios. Any thoughts as to which
one might have been used for a dance-band side like the Jack Jackson
item in question? Studio One seems bigger than necessary, and Studio
Three seems too small given the sound on the recording. That leaves
-- well -- Studio Two, which is referred to as "the most famous
studio in the world."

And I wonder if a recording sheet exists for that Jackson 28 Feb 1935
session...too much to ask, no doubt!

Take care,

Joe
—
Cats: I've got 'em right where they want me.