[78-L] Nice Group of VICTOR 'SWING CLASSIC' records

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Jan 18 16:56:07 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

78records at cdbpdx.com wrote:

> I finally got a chance to look through a collection of records I
> bought last year and found several nice Victor 'SWING CLASSIC'
> labels, including one with Django Reinhardt and the Quintette of
> the Hot Club of France playing with Coleman Hawkins, Benny Carter,
> and Tommy Benford in Paris in 1937.
>
> You can view the group here:
>
> http://78records.cdbpdx.com/VSC78/
>
> Haven't got them recorded yet, looking forward to that!

Nice bunch of records, a few I don't have on shellac...yet...

Beware that many of the "monogram" pressings (those with the RCA
"meatball" at the bottom of the label) may be dubbed, so won't have
sound quality as good as the original masters. Most Victor issues
prior to 26600 (with a few exceptions, notably UK masters) will have
a double-groove eccentric in the dead wax if it's a master pressing.
The change to single-groove was made in mid-March 1940.

The first Victor "Swing Classic" original issue was 25320, "Star
Dust" by Benny Goodman AHO on one side and Tommy Dorsey AHO on the
other. A number of prior catalog numbers were repressed with Swing
Classic labels.

The 1937 Django/QHCF recording issued here on Victor 26219 was
released in France on Swing 1. Yep; ONE.

Take care,

Joe
--
It's my cats' world. I'm just here to fill their food dish.