[78-L] Help me understand the logic...

Benno Häupl goldenbough at arcor.de
Tue Jan 18 14:00:46 PST 2011

You're right, eBay won't delete retaliatory feedback, unless both parties agree.
They would not even remove negative feedback given only minutes after purchase!
There used to a way to have feedback removed, but I don't know if it works that way now.

You could have posted a feedback follow-up with obscene wording, then eBay would
remove the entire feedback (if you asked them).  But I heard that they are now able to
remove only the obscene follow-up, although I cannot confirm this.

The human part is missing in all eBay measures now. Everything has got to be automated.
One of the latest things: you'll get automatically 5 DSR stars for shipping time if you have your
items set up for 'shipped within 24 hours' and then add the tracking within that time frame.
And you'll get 5 DSR stars automatically for shipping costs, if the item has 'free shipping'.
Yet, all this is not a good idea for sales of 78s.

The eBay/PayPal panel that I was a member of was the European one. We were invited once
every quarter for a day to eBay's European head office in Berlin - with dinner and bars at night.
I liked it, because these were professional 'business meetings' with presentations of ideas,
options, developments to be discussed.  A special newsletter kept us up to date afterwards,
and gave us topics that would be coming up. We members would be heard if we wanted to
discuss an issue.
Senior management (marketing, finances, category managers, Trust & Safety...) would join the
meeting as needed for a specific topic. In the weeks after a meeting we continued to discuss a
matter in a separate 'Club' on the eBay site until we had some manager's decision.

This went on for about two years and a half with a dozen people from several European countries.
Then we were 'disbanded'.  I still run across some of the members occasionally on the German,
UK or French eBay chat boards (this is where they had found us to invite us).

Benno