[78-L] Dance with me Henry

kil kil at roadrunner.com
Sun Jan 16 07:19:48 PST 2011

From: "Gary Herzenstiel"
> Questions about Georgia Gibb's "Dance with me Henry" from 1955
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIJvlHXEqU"
> Mercury 70616
> Wallflower (Dance with me Henry)
> Otis * Ballard * James
> BMI
> with orchestra conducted by Glenn Osser
>
> But my copy of the tune, Mercury 70572, shows:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCgCZ8cF0o
> Mercury 70572
> Dance with me Henry (Wallflower)
> James Etta - P. Otis
> ASCAP
> with Hugo Peretti and his orchestra
>
> The recording is the same.  No, I did not mis-type "James Etta."  Who is
> Ballard?  Who's band is it and would someone pay ASCAP or BMI?  How messed
> up is that!
>
> As if that wasn't enough of a puzzle, most copies I've seen of 70572 are
> backed with "Ballin' The Jack."  I found a copy that was backed with
> "Every road must have a turning."  Orchestra credit on "Every" is Glenn
> Osser.  Was one of the pairings pulled?  The labels all have that mid-'50s
> Mercury half-n-half logo.
>
> Who knows the real stories here?

I certainly don't have all the answers, but to start a discussion, ASCAP
does not list DANCE WITH ME HENRY and  BMI does.  BMI gives as writers,
Johnny Otis, Hank Ballard and Etta James.  This does not prove that it  has
always been BMI, although I suspect it was.

The song was based on an old Midnighters song, WALK WITH ME ANNIE, which
explains why Hank Ballard retained some credit.
RayK