[78-L] Dance with me Henry

Gary Herzenstiel gherzens at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 05:24:33 PST 2011

Hi, Peter and 78-L fellows.

Questions about Georgia Gibb's "Dance with me Henry" from 1955

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaIJvlHXEqU"
Mercury 70616
Wallflower (Dance with me Henry)
Otis * Ballard * James
BMI
with orchestra conducted by Glenn Osser

But my copy of the tune, Mercury 70572, shows:     http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoCgCZ8cF0o
Mercury 70572
Dance with me Henry (Wallflower)
James Etta - P. Otis
ASCAP
with Hugo Peretti and his orchestra

The recording is the same.  No, I did not mis-type "James Etta."  Who is Ballard?  Who's band is it and would someone pay ASCAP or BMI?  How messed up is that!

As if that wasn't enough of a puzzle, most copies I've seen of 70572 are backed with "Ballin' The Jack."  I found a copy that was backed with "Every road must have a turning."  Orchestra credit on "Every" is Glenn Osser.  Was one of the pairings pulled?  The labels all have that mid-'50s Mercury half-n-half logo.

Who knows the real stories here?

Thanks.    Gary
http://78rpmrecord.com

P.S. I finally re-vamped the 78 label page so that it accepts labels from contributors.  Next to add is some security, unfortunately.  Please feel free to contribute nice quality scans.  Quite a few of my scans are old and need to be replaced (hint, hint.)  Hope you enjoy it.