[78-L] fwd: The CD is dead

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sat Jan 15 21:35:54 PST 2011

Let 'em think it. They said vinyl was dead, too. Just don't believe everything the media tells you to. There are plenty of music lovers out there who still like to see context with their music: photographs, analyses, interviews, stories behind the music, and...discographical info. You get none of this from an MP3 download. The targets for music buying today are the same as they always have been: young people from 15-35. But as the co-owner of a struggling record company, I maintain that if you put out a good product, well packaged at an affordable price, and have a decent distribution network, you can still get sales. Nobody is clamoring for us to shut down or complaining about our CDs as being antiquated. Our new Bob Dunn box set has been the fastest seller we've had in years (OK, at a rate that the major record companies would find laughable). But our overhead is lower, our break-even point is within sight, and we have accomplished something the majors would never dream of putting any time or resources into. As long as the means of manufacturing CDs are out there, we'll be in business. And if it stops, we will  have had a good run. But we're not stopping just because Sony tells the world CDs are passe. They can't afford to do it. We still can.

As for the erros in this blog - to quote my 15-year old son, "Oh. My. God." "Emil" Berliner? Nipper is a pit bull?? (he was a bull terrier). Edison invented the cylinder in 1887? Only off by 10 years. The LP was an untested format in 1948? What about the Victor Program Transcriptions? Jeez.

Remember that most blogs are not edited, not proofread, and not fact checked. This person gathered information on spurious websites and most likely did no serious research.

Cary Ginell