[78-L] VICTOR LABEL BOOK -- you MUST get it

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 13 16:42:03 PST 2011

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 03:49 -0500, Michael Biel wrote:
> Since I have not read any reviews yet, all I can think is that nobody
> here has ordered the new revised edition of Michael W. Sherman's (with
> Kurt Nauck) "Collector's Guide To Victor Records" yet.  WHAT ARE YOU
> WAITING FOR???  An engraved invitation?  If so, consider this to be
> one.

Money's been tight for the last few months, but last week I had enough
spare money to order the paperback edition. It arrived today (I think
Kurt ships in his sleep!) and all I can say is WOW.  This book is
amazing. (I picked up a copy of Note the Notes while I was at it; it's
also pretty keen.)

> I might be a little biased, but my participation is minor.  Mike and
> Kurt have worked wonders.  I did the matrix prefix section at the end,
> gave the pressing plant info in the footnote section for Chap 9, did
> some proofing, and provided some labels that are, in all modesty,
> knockouts (The Vouce of the Victor on page 214 and the Bluebird on 215
> are a couple of examples) but 99 & 44/100% is Mike and Kurt.  The
> comparison with the two earlier versions is beyond belief.

Where on earth did they find those two labels on the bottom of 214, and
the Red Seal label at the bottom left of 215?  I've long found it
intriguing that Victor used a line engraving of His Master's Voice from
the beginning (Yankee thrift?), while The Gramophone Company started
with full color renditions and later (as HMV) went to duotones,
monochrome sepia, then finally an outline line drawing similar to the
early HMV Zonophone labels.  But these two labels on 214 take the cake;
the Red Seal version looks for all the world like a Shaded Dog label.

> I am flattered that they surprised me with placing my most amazing find
> on the end-papers, and actually it was Vince Giordano who first spotted
> it.[...]
> I am not telling you what that flyer is, although I showed it to a few
> people like the Rolfs since the photos were still in my camera.  It will
> have to be your surprise WHEN YOU BUY THE BOOK!!!

I have a feeling that this endpaper flyer surprise is only included in
the hardcover edition, because the paperback edition has plain white
stock inner covers - no endpapers. Pity.

I've been amazed at my casual flip-through; can't wait to be able to
hunker down and delve at leisure! Kudos to Messrs. Sherman and Nauck on
a very fine volume.

MS