[78-L] Pachelbel for a Buck

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 13 13:56:41 PST 2011

That is EXACTLY the version that made me hate it forever! The Paillard, not the
Fiedler..Fiedler actually plays it at the correct tempo. His is the very first
recording of it. Incidentally, my first exposure to the Canon, before it became
popular, was a really nice version on the 10-string guitar by Michel Dintrich,
and in the late 60s it was the basis of a French pop song called "Rain and Tears".

Oog..that Paillard pile of mush..high on my all time hate parade, along with
everything by Chausson, 90% of Sibelius, and most Elgar works of more than 5
minutes. But my case against the Tacobell originates from my having had to play
it regularly on RSVP and having been subjected to the Paillard version daily
while it was used as the theme on another CBC program. I'd pay money never to
have to listen to it again.

Anyone remember Peter Schickele's WTWP (Wall to Wall Pachelbel)?

dl