[78-L] Layton & Johnstone

Birgit Lotz Verlag Birgit-Lotz-Verlag at gmx.de
Thu Jan 13 07:58:24 PST 2011

Help is still needed for a gigantic project: the documentation and
reissue of all sound and film documents of people of African descent IN
EUROPE prior to the 1920s. (To be exact: during the acoustic recording
era, pre-microphone). Of the circa 2000 potential sound documents, we
have already located and digitized most - but our wants and search list
is still long.

Among our wants are
=> *duets by Layton & Johnstone on Columbia (UK)
*http://www.lotz-verlag.de/Layton_and_Johnstone.htm
=> recordings in Amharic by Tessema Eshete (Echeute) on the Beka and
Odeon labels
=> "coon songs" by the African-American minstrels Pete Hampton and Laura
Bowman on many makes of cylinders and discs
=> songs and recitations in Xhosa by Dr. W. B. Rubusana, MPC.,  and
Palmer Mowetyana on the Homophon label
=> a couple of Spirituals by Evelyn Dove (on *Aco G-15548*) and Roland
Hayes (on *Vocalion R-6133*)
=> discs used to synchronize early films featuring black entertainers,
actors, etc
and many more.
The complete list is here:
<http://www.lotz-verlag.de/Black_Europe_Wants.htm>

Background information about the project is here:
<http://www.lotz-verlag.de/black_europe_callforhelp.html>

Please check whether you can help - in particular with regard to LAYTON
& JOHNSTONE

Thanks
Rainer

--