[78-L] Five Faves

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 23:46:39 PST 2011

 Comfort music:  most anything played by Whiteman's Orchestra, maybe without a couple of singers in the 30s. Any Mozart.
Most Beethoven (late quartets & piano being a bit complex for me) .    Pre-1940 Crosby.  Pre-1930  brass bands (Holst's band
pieces being about as "modern" as I want to hear) . That's 5, sorta.

 Currently on my mp3 player:  Beethoven quartets and symphonies 2 5 and 7, Mozart horn concertos, Handel Water & Fireworks,
Sousa & Pryor bands, HMS Pinafore, Gus Arnheim, Paul Whiteman, Eddie Cantor, Flatt & Scruggs, Louis Gottschalk, Happiness
Boys, Guy Lombardo, Bing Crosby, Offenbach, Paragon Ragtime Orchestra, Prince's and Victor Bands, Dave Brubeck, Victor Light
Opera Co, B.A.Rolfe, Black Dyke Mills Band, Victor Herbert, Vess Ossman, Fred Van Eps, Leo Slezak, 700 assorted cylinders,
etc etc (it is a large capacity player! )  Not all artists were on 78s, but most of the music was.

 Around 1975, my grandfather told me that someday, we'd be able to put all the music we wanted on little cards the size of a
postage stamp. I thought he was nuts. (A salesman friend of his gave us samples of Velcro, which he claimed would someday be
on our sneakers. I thought he was nuts, too! )