[78-L] Five Faves

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jan 12 19:29:17 PST 2011

From: "Erwin Kluwer" <ekluwer at gmail.com>
> To me the most (sudden) radical and influential new sounds were created
> by:
> ODJB (oh yes, I  am ready for what you guys have to say about this..!!)

Important point here is that ODJB were NOT the first to play jazz...they
just happened to be the first to record it for an important label!
> Charlie Parker n 1945
> Bill Monroe in 1946

Both possible; I don't have the expertise here?
> Elvis on Sun

Again, Elvis didn't "create" anything new...he was just the first to copy
the work of Black performers. As well, he was very good-looking and
thus had gazillions of female teen-age admirers...! The Crudup tune
he "covered" is/was an almost exact copy of Crudup's original recording!

Steven C. Barr