[78-L] Five Faves

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 12 15:50:09 PST 2011

I have  a 1942 line check of the Jay McCann band from the Savoy Ballroom.
On "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" Charlie Parker blows an unmistakeable
Be-bop solo for
mebbe four choruses. It is not an experimental bit of beta blowing.
It is a full fledged, finely burnished bop creation.. I don't know exactly
what Diz was blowing in the summer of 1942 but
it may be that Bird was there first with the most even if it was not under
his own name.
It's on LP only but still is one of my top five.

Al Simmons