[78-L] Your 10 best records!!

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Jan 11 10:35:05 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Erwin Kluwer wrote:

> It's showtime!!
>
> Please list your 10 most rare, expensive, one of a kind records...
>
> Be as exhibitionistic, unashamed and totally out to drive people to
> outright
> sickjealousy as humanly possible....

Oof. Do I *have* ten "most rare, expensive, one-of-a-kind records"?

Lessee...I have at least ten Columbia test pressings of unissued
Benny Goodman takes, and several other unissued tests by other
artists; does that count?

I paid more than I probably should have for at least four single 78s
(Victor 20944, 22960; Columbia 3051-D, 3058-D); does that count? (A
few years ago I was, at $1275, high bidder for BG's "Pop-Corn
Man" [Victor 25808] on the Dock-o'-the-'Bay for about thirty
seconds...<grin>...It was a pretty heady experience that won't EVER
be duplicated!)

At least three, maybe four items in my collection have "book" values
(whatever that means) over $100, though I didn't pay anywhere near
that for 'em; does that count?

Russ Connor sez (in his BG books) that only one copy is known of an
August 1936 white-label recording ("Here's Love In Your Eye"/"Night
In Manhattan") stemming from the film "The Big Broadcast of 1937." I
have a (the?) copy; does that count?

Most of my 25,000-item cache are run-of-the-mill big-band, swing, hot
dance or plain-ol' pop sides that don't fit your criteria.

As for the subject line...are any of the above my "best" records?
Dunno. I play others more frequently. To paraphrase a common saying:
"Best" is in the ear of the listener.

> My list will follow soon...

Looking forward to it!

Take care,

Joe
--
It's my cats' world. I'm just here to fill their food dish.