[78-L] 14" Pathes and weird noises

James Tennyson jtennyson at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 9 04:49:24 PST 2011

Message: 14
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 12:21:58 -0500
From: James Tennyson <jtennyson at sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: [78-L] 14" Pathes and weird noises
To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

Okay, I did my homework on this  and for bibliographic correctness the
article is  " A Ghostly Knock that Spoiled an Expensive Record"  by Allison
Gray. It appeaed in the May May 1922 issue of  The American Magazine.  Her
source for the story was  the  excellent Reinald Werrenrath. The article was
reprinted in  The New Amberola Graphic for Summer 1986.  It is one of the
best contemporary articles on  life in the studios in the acoustic era.

JRT

I understand that the thumping noise you described in the Victor acoustics
was traced to the  recording engineer blowing wax shavings away from the
recording stylus. When you listen to it , it sounds like just that.  There
was  am article about this which appeared  about 1923  called " How a
Ghostly Knock Spoiled a Costly Phonograph " record. It was reprinted in the
Amberola Graphic. I 'll see if I can find it later.
Message: 1