[78-L] 14" Pathes and weird noises

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 7 12:13:10 PST 2011

 I wonder if buyers were advised to slow their machines to 68 or 70.  Pathe seemed to make a point of using prominently
mounted, large speed dials on many disc machines; a couple of mine are about 2" across - they obviously expected the
customer to use it.  (Same as the one on this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2IoUtImvKE  .. and if one srew is removed
from the arm rest at the rear, 14" discs can be played on this machine)   Their "90-100 tours" note was a bit unhelpful,
leaving you to guess.

 After listening to many transfers of Pathe records, I decided that one of the noises was an elevator in their building,
and that the master cylinders were recorded at (or near) 160rpm.     Early '20s Victor records also have low-pitched
noises - a sort of heavy blowing, brushing, or metal-parts-dragging-heavily noise, within the first minute on dozens of
discs recorded in NYC.  An especially loud example has been claimed to be a thunderstorm, but it's the same noise as on the
others.  Whiteman's "April Showers" has a good example at 4-5 seconds.