[78-L] 14" Pathe

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 6 12:15:43 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-01-06 at 13:46 -0500, David Lennick wrote:

> Not to mention all the thumps and bumps from mechanical equipment and people
> walking around in the studio.

I have a Pathe Actuelle with the hymn "Abide With Me" sung by a male
quartet; at the very end of the record, right before the spiral-out, it
has a steady rhythmic "thump thump thump thump", about four beats per
second, for maybe five seconds.

When I first acquired this record, as a youth, I thought maybe it was
some crude early signal to the consumer that the record was over. Today
I realize that it was probably noise from the cylinder player reaching
the end of the record, carried through the pantograph onto the disc
master.

MS