[78-L] Edison matrix numbers

Glenn Longwell glongwell at snet.net
Thu Jan 6 12:02:46 PST 2011

A while back we brought up the existence of the Edison data at:

http://www.truesoundtransfers.de/disco.htm

I've used a copy of this for a number of years now but have had a nagging question I haven't been able to get an answer to.

Very early DD's can have matrix numbers that don't have a letter, but a number for the take.  For instance 50081-L is Tango Land.  The matrix numbers listed in the spreadsheet are 2402-A or 2402-B.   Mine is 2402-5.  And the 5 is definitely a 5, not a B.  I have plenty of other examples too.  What is the relationship, if any, between the numbers and the letters.  Can I presume this was an earlier recording and they continued to use the same matrix number when they recorded it again?  Or perhaps they eventually standardized on the letters and changed the metal to reflect that.  That would mean certain takes  would have had a number at one point but later pressings after they modified it would have a take letter.

My apologies if I've asked this before.  If I did I don't remember the answer!

Any insight on this?

Thanks,
Glenn