[78-L] inquiry on Japanese 78rpm pressings

Hopkins/Kato hopkat at sa2.so-net.ne.jp
Tue Jan 4 23:01:26 PST 2011

Fats Domino on Imperial (of Japan) is one of only six on that label,
released in Sept of 1957. I know that Bill Haley records were released as
early as April 1956 (ten little Indians/rockin chair on the moon, on
Japanese London) but not sure if anyone could say definitively what the
first R'n'r release in Japan was.
Your Johnny Watson Victor (J) A-5076 is a fairly unusual record. There were
several recordings made here in Japan of US Army dance bands. They were
released on a compilation CD 5-6 years ago. (Title was something like
"Occupation Swing," but I'm not positive about that, either.) If I could
find my copy I'd tell you the date, etc. but my CD filing is worse than my
78 filing.

David Hopkins
Nara, Japan