[78-L] Monroe paste over label solved

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 3 12:09:09 PST 2011

On 1/3/2011 2:53 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Some stinker pasted a fake label on a beat-up lacquer I found in a junk pile.
> I'd forgotten that the label had probably originally appeared in the National
> Lampoon (I occasionally find those wacky MAD labels stuck on 45s as well). I
> was pretty mad when it didn't turn out to be a dub of a Lenny Bruce routine.
>
> dl

Of course there is a difference when you are ON THE AIR!  We didn't do
it with record labels -- how often are you given a chance like the
Monroe labels? -- but we would do it with tape cartridges of promos and
things like that.  A couple of times when one of the DJs would crack up
or do a blooper in a recording session we would dub the blooper onto a
cart, put a label for the legitimate spot on it, and stick it in the
rack.  They put it on the air, it sounds fine and normal -- for a while
-- and then comes the crack-up or blooper and then panic ensues.
Although we are careful not to include anything raunchy, that don't know
THAT.  I have wonderful recordings of when we pulled that stunt on two
good friends of ours.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com