[78-L] Monroe paste over label solved

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 3 11:11:40 PST 2011

On 1/3/2011 1:53 PM, Bill McClung wrote:
> I could not recall any pop RCA Victor 78 with a red label and emailed David
> and he couldn't as well.

Jimmy Durante (with Helen Traubel) A Real Piano Player.  And there are
some Gold Standard Series pop 45 EPs that were on Red Seal labels.

But after my last posting I realized that some joker could have put the
Monroe Labels on some other record as some kind of warped practical joke
on the other DJs at the station!!!!  And that actually could have been
the point of my initial surprised question  "What Columbia record??"
It's 1954, you're a DJ, and you've just introed a new record by Marilyn
Monroe (!!!) and are just creaming over the photo on the label (really,
that label photo is worth the price of the new Mike Sherman Victor label
book), when SOMETHING ELSE comes out of your monitor speaker.  What
would it be??  Ruth Wallis?  UTC?  Dentist??? The mind boggles!!

Let this be a lesson to you.  Learn to identify matrix numbering and
pressing styles!!!

Mike (aren't we stinkers) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com