[78-L] Monroe paste over label solved

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 10:53:33 PST 2011

I wrote earlier of a Marilyn Monroe paste over label that I said was from
Columbia records.

I (without really thinking) remembered that there was a sliver of red
showing at the spindle hole and blurted Columbia.

David Lennick was quick to remind me that MM did not record for Columbia but
only for RCA and MGM.

So it was RCA Victor 20-5745 River of No Return/I'm Gonna File My Claim.

I could not recall any pop RCA Victor 78 with a red label and emailed David
and he couldn't as well.

Then Michael Biel said there was a promo of this 78 that was sent to djs
with a large red question mark in place of a singer's name and that the
Monroe picture promo label was then to be pasted over the question mark
label.

Mr. Biel sent me a scan of the question mark label and part of the red
question mark does indeed edge the spindle hole and that is what can be seen
under the picture label paste-on.

A big thanks to David and to Michael for answering this question.

And, yes, it is the correct record.