[78-L] Caruso In A Car.

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sun Jan 2 03:55:29 PST 2011

According to the Library Of Congress file the picture is taken c April
25 1908.
At the time Caruso was still in New York - the Met season would go on
for another couple of weeks. He left for Europe on May 21, together
with, among others, Father Joseph Tonello, a father confessor who used
to accompany him on his journeys. The man in front of Caruso in the car
is probably Father Tonello.
There's another 1908 photo (or at least copyrighted in 1908) by the same
photographer, H W Harper of Joliet, Illinois, that pictures Caruso and
Father Tonello (erroneously called Tonelli):
http://loc.gov/pictures/resource/cph.3b44070/
Before leaving for Europe Caruso made his Toronto debut (in May);
chances are that the car picture is taken in Canada. But it's most
definitely not from Britain.
Kristjan