[78-L] Rocky and Bullwinkle

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 1 19:32:19 PST 2011

According to a recent update on WackyPackia, the release date for the complete
set is January 11. The Toronto StarWeek Magazine says January 4.

 From Wacky, re DVD sets:

In 2002, Jay Ward Productions established a partnership with Classic Media
called Bullwinkle Studios. In 2003 and 2004, the partnership produced DVDs of
the first two seasons of the series, which were renamed (for legal reasons)
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends. These sets were followed by season 3 in September
2005, and season 4 nearly 5 years later, in August 2010.[26] According to a
pamphlet accompanying the DVDs for the first season, the DVDs use the second
season opening, which Ward's daughter Tiffany says was her father's favorite.
However, the DVDs for the third and fourth seasons use the opening and closing
from the first season. The DVDs for the first two seasons replaced the original
music with themes Ward produced for the third season.

The DVD releases of the shows differ from the originals. The renaming of the
show to "Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends" led to the sometimes clumsy
superimposition of the new title onto preexisting opening credits and interior
bumpers.[27] A Bill Conrad impersonator was used to announce the new title,
which viewers found jarring.[27] A semi-transparent "R & B" logo appears for
five seconds at the beginning of each segment. Some segments were moved from
their placement in the original episodes.

In 2005, Bullwinkle Studios released a series of "best of" DVD compilations of
popular segments of the series: two volumes of "The Best of Rocky and
Bullwinkle", plus the single-volume "The Best of Boris and Natasha", "The Best
of Mr. Peabody and Sherman", and "The Best of Dudley Do-Right". These
compilations contain episodes from the entire run of the show, including the
otherwise-unreleased season five.

On August 17, 2010, Classic Media released the complete 4th season of Rocky and
Bullwinkle on DVD.

On January 11, 2011, Classic Media will release Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends-
The Complete Series on DVD in Region 1.[28]

dl