[78-L] Seeking Caruso in car photo

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Sat Jan 1 15:19:13 PST 2011

I wish this was the photo, but it isn't.  The one I'm looking for is more formally posed, with everyone facing and in plain view of the camera.

Regarding right=hand drive, one other problem with moving to left-hand was the placement of gearshift and brake levers; it seemed logical to mount them outboard on a right-hand drive car (much more manageble for right-handed drivers, making up the majority) than on the left or placing them in the center of the floor. (The hand brake was the main and more powerful brake on pre-WWI cars, acting on the rear wheels, the footbrake generally acting on the transmission for gradual slowing.  You needed considerable strength to stop a big tourer effectively with the hand brake, so it made sense for the lever to be with most people's stronger hand.)  "Center control" was a big selling point on American cars starting around 1911-12, when some companies began placing the gear and brake levers there, and this eventually became the norm.  (Remember, the Model T's planetary transmission used pedals to shift gears, and the throttle was on the steering column; it did have a center mount brake, though.)  Centrally placed levers were considered very American, and when Rolls-Royce introduced a central 3-speed gearshift in their 1922 Twenty, many British drivers thought it _too_ American and R-R went back to a right-hand 4-speed gate-change type in 1925.