[78-L] pasteover label~Broadway Malady

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jan 1 12:04:57 PST 2011

Not to be confused with the complete paste over of some (usually) cheapo
label covers the original label of the first issue of the record.  I have
several like that but am blanking on what they are...one is an old thing
which covers a 1912 or so American Columbia...another covers up an English
Parlophone from about 1926.

Speaking of cheapie,  the sleaziest thing I've encountered among the cheap
labels is the Broadway dance band version of "Let's Have Another Cup of
Coffee."  I know Broadway was in bad shape by '32...but did they really have
to DUB the Hit of the Week version and then issue it as their own?    Pretty
bad.   Can't recall the pseudonym Broadway used...perhaps someone else on
the list knows it.

What is really pathetic is that the dubbed Hit of the Week still sounded
better than a lot of the records actually recorded by Broadway!

Taylor