[78-L] What the heck did I just buy!!!

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 30 14:45:29 PST 2010

Yer basic DROOOOOOOOL........

On 12/30/2010 5:33 PM, agp wrote:
> My local Half Price Books just got in a whole whack (as opposed to
> half a whack) of 12 inch classical stuff. Actually its a shelf-load
> about 4 feet long.
>
> Its mostly RCA Victor and Victrola Red Seal stuff with a smattering
> of US Brunswick Polydors and Columbia Masterworks.

Check to see if any of the Brunswick Polydors are the late laminated pressings.
They're fabulous. Kept in print because this was demanded for them to be
included in the Carnegie collections given to colleges and libraries, and also
I think just for the hell of it in Brunswick's last days.

> Now I know nothing about classical stuff, but I grabbed a few that
> looked interesting -- 60 cents a piece during the 20% off sale.
>
> So -- what the heck did I buy here -- help!!!!
>
> First -- an embossed-label Pathe -- I'm assuming vertical cut -- I
> can't play it of course. I wasn't paying attention when these came up
> so I don't even begin to know how to date it. One label side has 1503
> in a diamond at 6 o'clock then has a number 4 at 12 o'clock. Around
> it it says (apologies for the missing accents) 860-Le Trouvere - av
> choeur, orch, et cloches Scene du Miserere - Chte par Vaguet et Mme
> Valllandri. Below the word Pathe it has the number 82417-ER. The flip
> also has a 1503 in a diamond, albeit smaller, and an 18 at  12
> o'clock as well as a stamping of Made in Belgium. Around the lobale
> it says 791 - Rigoletto  - Quatuor chte par M.M. Vaguet et Albers ,
> Mmes J Marinan et Beriza av orch. Any ideas about this one?
>
> Next up a few white label with typewritten copy on Victrola (the gold
> and white label).
> - 10 inch - #4563 - Soprano-Contralto - Passage - Birds' Farewell
> (Absceid Der Vogel) (Op 14) (Eugene Hildach) Gluck-Homer 87520 (not
> sure if thi sis the matrix cause the disc has 87199 stamped on it)
> - 12 inch - #5064 - Soprano in German - Magic Flute - Du also bist
> mein Brautigan (Oh, Dagger! Thou Art My Bridegroom) Act 2 -
> (Mozart)  - Gaoski and Trio - 89441
> - 12 inch - #7030 - Contralto - Ah, Mon Fils (Ah My Son)  -
> (Meyerbeer)  - Louise Homer- 88284
>
> I'm not sure what label this is as it is a hand written white label
> -- I Puritano Bellini Viere Diletto Act III Come, Dearest, Come -
> Marie Barrientos Soprano. Sung inm German - #49731

This is most likely a Columbia.

> They also had about 10 in a the RCA Victor Heritage Series from 1948,
> all pressed in red vinyl in gold envelope sleeves. I grabbed one of
> Olympia Boronet singing selections from Don Pasquale and Rigoletto as
> recorded in 1906 and 1908

Nice, and the sleeves usually turn up in rough condition.

> So -- can anyone clue me in on these

A few answers above..no doubt others will chime in.