[78-L] Best way to clean 78s

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Dec 29 07:23:06 PST 2010

I'LL SAY there are cheaper ways. The Monks unit costs $4,950.00 on Graham Newton's site. You'd better be independently wealthy or doing this for a living with LOTS of work coming in to make this unit worthwhile. Even Disc Doctor's cleaning solution costs $26.50 for only a half-ounce of fluid. I've used the mild dish soap/soft tooth brush/distilled water method for years successfully, for my own playing purposes. For mastering or restoration, I rely on the experts, most of whom already have more expensive devices.

Oftentimes, I find nice condition 78s that have a greasy film on them from being stored for so long without attention. Trying to play these discs often results in the stylus being unable to track the grooves through the sludge. The dish soap method works great in removing this schmutz, often resulting in an E+ recording, since invariably, when I find a record in this condition, it's rarely been played.

Cary Ginell