[78-L] First eBay problem

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Mon Dec 27 15:46:07 PST 2010

Hey Taylor - Sorry that something like this happened to you! From a
buyer/seller standpoint, I can see both sides. I ship in the neighborhood of
2000 packages a year & almost always when I get this complaint the package
was indeed delivered and either picked up by a spouse or relative, or
misfiled by the buyer themselves. Granted, these are normally CDs, and not
$100 records - but it does tend to make sellers wary of buyers saying they
did not receive and item when in fact they did. Usually about a week later I
get the - found it, email! Once though, I do remember the post office
delivering only the top of a box to a customer in one of those damaged en
route plastic baggie things. It was scanned as delivered though - ha!

On the other hand, when dealing with records and genuine collectors, I'd
tend to side with the buyer. If it were me, I'd much rather eat the $140 and
have a buyer continue bidding on my items - it just makes sense. When
selling on Ebay, it always takes at least 2 serious bidders to make a decent
sale price on a record & he could make that $140 back on one item! I never
understood the short sightedness of some sellers, but never-the-less it's
there. This seller has been selling some really nice records for a few years
now, and it's not like there's an unlimited pool of buyers for the real
rarities (and good prices). I still think that the anonymity of buying and
selling on Ebay kind of drives this feeling of getting cheated at times &
promotes folks to use poor judgment!

It works on the buyer side as well. On the last list I ran on the vmauctions
site, there was a buyer who purchased 2 nice & high priced jazz/dance band
records from a seller other than me. When he received them, he complained
that one of the records was not graded correctly - which is not a problem as
all items sold on the site are refund eligible for any reason. The seller
than offered a $35 refund (half of the price) to keep the record which is
pretty standard practice & the buyer refused and wanted a full refund -
again, no problem. This particular buyer was in the Europe and on top of the
money for the record he wanted the seller to pay $19 for the postage back
(even though the seller only received $5 in postage costs as it was shipped
to an address in the US). The seller then decided to refund the entire cost
of the record and let the buyer keep it so as not to incur another payment
for the shipment back. The buyer continued to insist that he not only
received a refund for the record but also cover the postage back even though
the seller told him to keep it! It is our published policy that any record
can be returned for refund, but the buyer is responsible for postage back
(unless the personal seller decides to cover the return expenses as well).
Anyhow, after this, the buyer then said that he'll never buy another record
on the site and cancelled everything! When the record did arrive safely back
in the US, the seller sent me a message letting me know he did refund the
postage cost personally through paypal. So really, it goes both ways!

And yes, the post office is rarely any help at all - especially if you live
in a major metropolitan area.
Good Luck!
Malcolm in GA

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com/