[78-L] Metropolitan Opera broadcasts in the old house

Kevin P. Mostyn lists at mostyn.com
Mon Dec 27 13:04:47 PST 2010

One of the Rodzinski's will be issued shortly by WHRA. I have heard the
transfer and it's quite useable. Only known source (in print or audio) of
the original version of the Barber 1st symphony. I have heard many transfers
made by the NBC staff of the 1930s and 1940s transcriptions. While they
aren't ideal (GE cartridge, RCA transcription turntable, etc. quality) they
are quite listenable. Happily, they were made so long ago, pre-1976, that
the discs, by and large, didn't suffer as yet from palmitic acid oozing.

Bill Shaman (whom I believe is impossible to approach, others have tried)
does indeed have those transfers. He was part of that clique, along with
Stan Farwig & Vic Gerard, both now deceased, with access to many things.

--Kevin Mostyn