[78-L] Jack Towers, truncating the high frequencies

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 26 17:41:27 PST 2010

On 12/26/2010 3:40 PM, Graham Newton wrote:

> It is a well documented medical phenomenon, that as we get older our high
> frequency hearing ability declines, such that at 65 years of age the upper
> limit is about 1/2 of what an 18 year old person could hear.
>
> I make more and more reference to the frequency displays in my equipment to
> confirm what is there and what I am hearing (or not hearing).
> The DK Audio Spectrum display or CEDAR Cambridge's Spectrum Analyzer (which is
> a lab quality device) are invaluable to make sure I am not making errors based
> on what I know that I can't hear any more.
>
> Often, taking a known-to-be-excellent recording and displaying it's
> characteristics gives a good reference for what decisions you could or should
> be making when working on recordings.  Without these tools, older audio people
> can easily make errors that would be blatantly obvious to younger ears.

My hearing is still fine, but my SPEAKERS are totally shot. That makes for
interesting speculative adjustments.

Alan Jay Lerner relates a wonderful story about Irving Berlin playing a new
song he'd written for a score, and how with Irving's piano technique it sounded
terrible. The producer looked worried, till someone said "Irving..play Blue
Skies."  IT sounded terrible. The producer shouted "It's a great song, Irving."