[78-L] Metropolitan Opera broadcasts in the old house

Stewart, Joseph R RandyStewart at MissouriState.edu
Fri Dec 24 20:57:46 PST 2010

(Not strictly a "78" question, but dating from the 78 era to be sure...)
This is probably a question for Mike Biel or Liz McLeod (or anyone else with radio-history knowledge), and maybe an odd one at that.  It was inspired by listening to the Myto CD transfer of the January 4, 1941 Met broadcast of Wagner's "Tannhauser" (Melchior/Flagstad/Thorborg/Janssen/Leinsdorf).  I don't think I've ever seen any references to what kind(s) of MICROPHONES were used on the stage and in the pit at the Old Met for the broadcasts.  I have trouble imaging a row of RCA 44BXs or 77s along the stage apron(!)... so can anyone enlighten me as to what mics NBC Blue might have used on the Met broadcasts in the 30s, 40s, and/or 50s?   Rarely if ever, at least on the broadcast transcriptions I've heard, does the sound have the high-end brightness NBC achieved in Studio 8H and Carnegie Hall for Toscanini... and most of the Met broadcasts of that era seem to be woefully deficient in bass response (this "Tannhauser" included).

Thanks and happy holidays to all!

Randy Stewart
Arts Producer
KSMU Radio