[78-L] Sargent Messiah^^

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Dec 24 15:23:33 PST 2010

Aside from the fact that Sargent did record "Messiah" on 78s, (many sections
more than once), this has nothing to do with those recordings.  But please allow
me a rant.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the Stereo recording, Sargent's last EMI
recording of the work, which came out in the late '50s.  This was THE recording
of Messiah at the beginning of the stereo era and stood alone very briefly until
Beecham's spectacular 1959 recording, (Beecham's last two recordings of Messiah
trumped recently released Sargent recordings) - the last two such treatments of
the work before the Period Performance craze took over so that today there is no
such romantic recorded version of Messiah available which is less  than 50 years
old.  But the point of the rant is that, at least  in Canada, the recording of
the Stereo Sargent Messiah was issued in  very poor quality - there was no
focus, no depth and distorted sound.  But sometime in the '60s, Anthony C.
Griffith remastered this recording for World Records and the results are
stunning, even today.  The distortion is removed, sibilants are clear and there
is at least an extended octave and a half of organ pedals rumbling around the
basement.  I used to love playing the last chorus, "Worthy is the Lamb", from
the Canadian, (Seraphim), issue and then amazing my guests by playing the World
version and astonishing them that it was the same recording.  Unfortunately, the
CD reissue has the same sound as the Seraphim recording.

Griffith did so much fine work on projects like the complete Elgar recordings
and the early Sibelius recordings, exhorting sounds from those old masters that
belie their age, and yet, I find, most record collectors today have never even
heard of him.  I think he was easily as much of a legend as Alan Blumlein in the
history of recording  technology.

db