[78-L] two questions

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 24 01:58:38 PST 2010

Eric Goldberg wrote:
> I am looking for information about recordings by the Gospel Lights of Moultrie Georgia recorded in 1956 and 1958. The 1956 date was on Dootone.
>
> Does anyone have the Pee Wee Russell book which contains a really extensive discography?? I can't seem to put my hands on it right now and Roswell Rudd asked me for info on a recording listed in the book. It was made in Chicago with Eddie Condon, Pee Wee Russell, Johnny Windhurst and Roswell as a substitute on trombone. The recording was for the AFRS and when I contacted them they said that they don't have those recordings archived.
>
> Thank you for any help.
>
> Eric Goldberg
=============
 From Robert Hilbert's "Pee Wee Speaks":

Eddie Condon Sextet
Chicago, November, 1960

Johnny Windhurst, trumpet; Roswell Rudd, trombone; Pee Wee Russell,
clarinet; Johnny Varro, piano; Eddie Condon, guitar; possibly Phil
Failla, drums

That's The Blues AFRTS ONS 5263
Muskrat Ramble AFRTS ONS 5263
Black And Blue AFRTS ONS 5263
Clarinet Marmalade AFRTS ONS 5263
Medley: After Awhile, September In The Rain, Pennies From Heaven AFRTS
ONS 5263, IAJRC-28
That Da Da Strain AFRTS ONS 5263
As Long As I Live AFRTS ONS 5263
Royal Garden Blues AFRTS ONS 5270
Improvisation For The March Of Time AFRTS ONS 5263

and this separately listed session from same period:

unknown bass

That's A Plenty AFRTS ONS 5270
Ain't Misbehavin' AFRTS ONS 5270
Love Is Just Around The Corner AFRTS ONS 5270
Diane AFRTS ONS 5270

Both sessions from the London House.

      Julian Vein

PS: My wordcheck wants to replace "AFRTS" with "FARTS"!