[78-L] Drive belt for JCPenny

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 11:34:43 PST 2010

I am hoping someone on this list can help me with a problem. I picked up a J.C.Penny combination cassette, 8 track tape, record player (the record player is linear drive), AM/FM stereo so my wife could listen to some 33s. The model no. is; 1788 or 683-1788-00, Code; C311. The drive belt for the turntable has stretched with a hump where it rested on the motor drive shaft. The belt is a flat belt, 16.25 inches (total length), by 7/32 wide, by 1/32 thick (412.75 X 5.556 X .794 mm). The belt was probably 16 inched long originally, or maybe slightly less.

I know most department stores had other manufactures make their products. I would like to know some model numbers for similar machines from the original manufacturer or some similar JC Penny stereos that would have the same turntable. Or some suggestion on how to fabricate a belt.

Thank you.
Ken