[78-L] shelf order

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Dec 23 09:09:50 PST 2010

Part of my collection can be seen in this photo from last Sunday's newspaper story on me:

http://www.vcstar.com/photos/2010/dec/18/114673/

These are shelves that I bought from someone who was leaving the state and had to get rid of his furniture. They are two large 10-foot -long shelving units from an old radio station. When I got them, they were painted a garish green color, so I repainted them black, bolted them to each other and to the wall, and set them on a six-inch wood base off the floor. I'm browsing through my post-war blues/R&B section. The record I have plucked out is probably a Willie Nix on RPM. On top of the shelves are six drinking glasses with blues record labels etched into them (2 Paramounts, 2 Chess, Trumpet, RPM). To the left of the glasses is a can of Bix Beer (empty but still unopened). You can also see parts of a steel Playboy Flour advertising sign, a Light Crust Doughboys poster from the 1950s, and a half-sheet of "Louisiana," a film starring Jimmie Davis from 1947. Against the back wall is a 7-foot-high particle board cabinet that holds my 10-inch 78 albums. It's a good thing the photographer shot me Elvis-style (waist up) because at the current moment, the floor is littered with boxes and I'm standing probably in the only bare spot on the floor.

Cary Ginell