[78-L] Best 78's acquired "by accident"--WAS: First 78.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Dec 22 20:14:13 PST 2010

From: "Spats" <spats47 at ntlworld.com>
<snip> but the first record I owned (given as a Xmas present
> together with a wind up gramophone and some other records when I was
> 3yo) that I loved (and still have, almost 60 years on) was Love Me Or
> Leave Me, sung by Ruth Etting and accompanied by Eddie Lang, Joe
> Venuti and, I believe, Rube Bloom. Now, I have 10,000 records...

C.1972 or so, a chap who later became a friend of mine bought c. 5,000
78's at an auction in Bloomington, Ill's. (I was at the auction, but the
bidding
quickly went well beyond what I could afford...!). The buyer asked me to
sort through the records and look for stuff he could sell for good $$
(mainly
"Uncle Josh" discs...!) on the deal that I could take any records I wanted.
I took (not knowing exactly what they were) both the Melotones of the
"Lang-Venuti All-Star Orchestra!" They remain some of my VERY
favourite recordsto this day!

Oddly enough, I had also made (using library copies of ADBD) notes
in a notebook of which numbers had been issued when, so I could pick
out 1920-34 records. These notes eventually became my Dating
Guide...various 78 collectors told me I should type up and sell my
notes. I did, and was MUCH surprised at how well the result sold!

Steven C. Barr