[78-L] First 78.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 22 03:33:44 PST 2010

Hi!

Because I have a colour code for the edge of my 78 record sleeves,
based on who is the artiste, there's never been a 'first on my
shelf'' record, but the first record I owned (given as a Xmas present
together with a wind up gramophone and some other records when I was
3yo) that I loved (and still have, almost 60 years on) was Love Me Or
Leave Me, sung by Ruth Etting and accompanied by Eddie Lang, Joe
Venuti and, I believe, Rube Bloom. Now, I have 10,000 records...

However, my favourite 78 of all time would have to be a red label HMV
of Feodor Chaliapin. My great uncle had played it to me and I managed
to find a shop in South London that still had a stock of brand new
78s, even after they'd all been deleted and I bought my own copy at
the 'brand new price' which was then 10/5 in old, pre-decimal money,
back in the 60s. Actually, ten shillings and five-pence halfpenny, to
be precise!

The songs sung are Persian Love Song-Rubinstein and Elegie-Massenet.
Recorded in London in 1931.

Earl.